NCC launches the construction of We Land building in the Rumbanaukio square in Ruoholahti. The target is to certify the building at BREEAM Outstanding which is an exceptionally high level. The total length of the demanding construction project is estimated at three years.
– We aim to upgrade Ruoholahti into one of Helsinki’s most attractive headquarters areas and to create a living urban culture there. The core of the We Land building concept is made of spaces and services that are open also to the other operators and local residents of the area, including a high-class restaurant on the building’s 14th floor with a fabulous view, Senior Developer Heikki Alén of NCC says.
NCC has developed the area in co-operation with the City of Helsinki, JKMM Architects as well as with other operators and tenants present in the area. We Land’s future tenants includes Deloitte, a leading global expert organisation which will move their Finnish headquarters in the building.
Planned for completion towards year-end 2023, We Land is the first Finnish building ever targeted at the highest possible rating BREEAM Outstanding which is rarely heard of even internationally. This means that sustainability is supported in the space design, material selections, traffic connections and operation of the building.
Tunnels and construction below sea level – building project with a high difficulty degree requires accurate design
– The site location makes the project interesting and demanding from the construction point of view. For example, the site is criss-crossed by five different tunnels: three metro tunnels, the coal tunnel of the Salmisaari power plant as well as the former service tunnel of Alko which currently serves for civic protection. Driving bored piles to 1o metres’ depth below sea level will require controlling the sea and ground water levels, NCC’s Project Director Timo Henno describes.
There will be totally two thousand workers with some 150-200 persons operating simultaneously at the construction site.
Information occasion to be held for neighbours 10 December 2020
The progress of the construction works is reported on a regular basis at www.ncc.fi/projektit/weland where it is also possible to order the weekly newsletter to be delivered by e-mail.
The information occasion which is open to the neighbours and media will be held on the progress of the construction works on 10 December from 6 to 8 PM. Due to the coronavirus situation the occasion will be held on-line. It can be followed at entry.fi/welandinfotilaisuus. The representatives of the City of Helsinki, JKMM Architects and NCC will be presenting at the event.
Heikki Alén, Senior Developer, NCC Property Development, tel. +358 40 567 6619, email@example.com
Timo Henno, Project Director, NCC Property Development, tel. +358 50 388 3085, firstname.lastname@example.org
Satu Holm-Jumppanen, Media Relations, NCC, tel. +358 50 305 4718,
We Land in figures
We Land, Itämerenkatu 25, 00180 Helsinki
- Architect: JKMM Architects
- 2500 jobs
- 23,000 sq. m. of floor area
- 450 bicycle parking spaces, partially with charging stations
- 190 car parking spaces, all with charging stations, alternate parking arrangement
- Targeted at BREEAM Outstanding (highest rating) which is an exceptionally high environmental rating on the global scale. BREEAM certification involves assessment of ecological, social and economic sustainability of properties.
- Completion in 2023
NCC: Our vision is to renew the industry and provide superior sustainable solutions. NCC is one of the leading construction, property development and infrastructure companies in the Nordic countries. In 2019 its revenue amounted to nearly € 5.5 billion and it employed 15,500 people. NCC’s shares are listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm.